It’s not Goodbye, it’s Stay Tuned

photo-3-1-1

I don’t like goodbyes. The finality of it makes me anxious. That’s probably why I plowed through the last 7 days as if they were like any other. Only they weren’t. My final days at CBS 5 News were closing in on me and I was doing everything I could to distract myself from it until I started hearing rumblings about “something special” planned for my final newsroom hours. I was told to be at the station early (which is really “on time” for everyone else) on Friday, my last day, for a farewell lunch. I still didn’t know what to expect other than food, a video and some words from my news director. I was pretty sure I’d cry. Instead, I was walloped by a fistful of love, humility and appreciation of what I was leaving behind.

photo-1-2

To our fearless leader, Leona, who stood up and gave a touching tribute of words, thank you. We like to think our bosses know not only what we do on the outside but also who we are on the inside. Her words and tears cut deep into the essence of me and what makes me tick. She used the word purposeful. It’s a word I will forever cherish. To Kathy and Rob, two of the most gifted people in our business who clearly poured time and heart into putting not just one but two farewell videos together, thank you. They captured not only the spirit of what makes our newsroom so special but the soul of why “telling it like it is” – for me – was simply about just being me. To my colleagues who told stories that weren’t just about what we did for a living but about moments we shared on and off the set. It’s proof that the bond we created during our many hours and years together made us more than just co-workers. It made us family. To my husband, children, Kent and dear friend Jennifer Longdon, I thank them for recognizing the passion I have for making my work have meaning. I’ve always believed that what we do with the job is far more important than the job title itself. Hearing them speak reinforced for me, that I practiced what I preached. To Sean, my “TV
brother/husband” for so many years, where do I even begin? All this time I thought he was tuning me out and then he lays it all out there on television, summing up the very core of what this job has meant to me, the gratitude I feel for being able to do it for so long and why the tears I cried were so genuine. He knows better than anyone the tremendous gift we’ve been given to follow our dream and make it a career day in and day out.  I am blessed to have shared this journey with him.

photo-2-2

Most of all, I thank you. To each and every one of you who have allowed me into your homes day in and day out, I am grateful. I could not have had this amazing career without your loyalty and support through the years. I’ve been reading the Facebook comments you’ve been posting and the emails you’ve been sending and I’m just so overwhelmed with appreciation. I have loved the opportunity my job has given me to tell the stories people may not have been hearing. I’ve been able to connect with ordinary people who do extraordinary things on a regular basis and it has inspired me to use my position to do my own positive things in the community. I’m a lucky girl.

CATHERINE-0812

Dave was always proud of my news career. After all, he was there before it even began. But he also had a love-hate relationship with it. I remember him saying that if he had known what was involved, he never would’ve married me. He came to despise the grind and the instability of it and having a contract dictate our lives. And yet, he took pride in my accomplishments, even after divorce. So in some ways, what my daughter found on in his phone, when she finally got the courage to go through it, shouldn’t have surprised me. He had only a handful of pictures on it and one was of me. It was of me with President Obama in the White House. I never knew he had it, much less kept it. He was always proud of me. Always. And I know as I exited CBS 5 News with an armful of gifts and an overflowing heart, I made him prouder than anything I’ve ever done in my career. I’m putting our children first.

My work is not done and I have plans to continue doing it, of which I will share in another blog. But for now, know that this is not goodbye, but a “please stay tuned.”

• Constantine Moundalexis 4 years ago

Catherine,
    I would like to thank you for the many years of dedication, hard work and sincerity you brought to your work at Channel 5. Your genuine positive attitude will serve you well in the next chapter in your life.
    As you continue to grow into the next chapter of your life always remember this simple phrase, “Today is the best day of my Life”. It will serve you well as it has me. There is no doubt that your future will be bright, because good things happen to good people !!
    All the best to you and your family!!!

Best Regards and Wishes,

Constantine Moundalexis

Master Chauffeur
    USPTA P1 Tennis Professional (Retired)

Thank you so much Constantine, that means so much to me. I appreciate the kind words and for the support through the years! Catherine

• Aprile and Bob Huigens 4 years ago

We have watched you here in Prescott Arizona since you began your career with CBS5. At dinner this evening we discussed your absence and had no idea you had left as we were in Las Vegas that week. So I got on the PC to find out what was going on. You are already so missed! We wish you the best of luck, sounds like you are doing the right things for your family and that is what’s most important but we miss you!!!

Thank you, thank you! That means the world to me! All the best to you both and thank you for the support and for watching through the year! Blessings, Catherine

• Matt 4 years ago

Hi Catherine,
    I’ve watched you since the Ch.12 days but only recently learned of your reasons for leaving. Reading your blog hit home because I’m a divorced dad to a 10 1/2 yr old daughter and an 8 1/2 yr old son (they’d both want me to include the “halfs”. My ex-wife and I are trying to put a new face on divorce, much as you and your ex-husband did. The kids don’t remember our marriage but only see us as partners and friends, and I’m at their mom’s house several days a week for one reason or another.

Thank you for the way you continue to honor your kids’ dad. Really. I could say so much, but I’ll just say it’s inspiring.

Lastly, is there video anywhere of your send off? I meant to catch that final Friday, but missed it.

Very kind words Matt – thank you! Congrats to you and your former wife for creating a friendship for your children. I think our children are doing as well as they are because they knew we had a true partnership and their dad’s loss isn’t just theirs – but mine too. As for the video – you can find it on my Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catherine-Anaya/103173116432390?ref=hl
      You’ll have to scroll down to July 11th to find it. I’m planning to upload it to my You Tube channel in the next week or so.They did an amazing job! Thank you again for taking the time to read my blog – I appreciate it!

• Jesus 4 years ago

Cathterine,

I’ve been watching and following your career all these years, and I can tell you that you will be missed. I hope that you know that you have been a very special role model for many young (and not just latinas) ladies who are just now entering the media world. Your professionalism and endearing personality on the “air” and off is going to leave a big void in our market. God bless you on your new voyage. Your children are truly blessed to have such a great mom.

Jesus

• June 4 years ago

I learned the hard way where career came first over family and now my husband of 32 years has passed away. Time I cannot recover. Life is fraile and transitory.

I’m so sorry for your loss, June. Your words are so true and I intend to relish every moment I have with my family. Family first. All the best to you! Catherine

• don rychlick 4 years ago

Catherine thank you for bring us the news good and bad! I have watch you for over 15 year I will miss you every night at ten! !st David lettermen now you it been a year of good byes! take care good luck Don

Thank you Don! I appreciate you watching through the years. I could not have enjoyed such an amazing career without the viewership an support of people like you. Thank you! Catherine

• Lou 'ann 4 years ago

Once again…..I am so proud of you. I know both my boys thought so much of you and you them. I’m glad we can stay in touch as it makes me feel that special part of my life when Dave and his brother Jim were here. People say their absence will get easier as time goes by…but nothing like that has happened yet. I am prepared to keep myself busy and just learn to live with every day as it comes.
    I love your new photos here and on Facebook. You have always been so photogenic and have gotten more attractive each year. Was great seeing you and your family last month. Looking forward to next time.
    Love,
    Lou Ann

Thank you LouAnn. You raised two very special boys and their loss has impacted so many of us. I know Dave is smiling with pride at the way the three of us are finding a way to carry on his memory and his legacy. I know he’s with us just as he is with you. Thank you for raising such fine men. Until next time – sending you hugs & kisses. xo Catherine

• Tonja Adreon 4 years ago

The very, very best. You already know how I feel about you leaving but now understand. Remember I’m a great volunteer. Tonja

I won’t forget Tonja – thank you!! – Catherine

• Mady 4 years ago

So, Catherine, this is the beginning of new discoveries, journeys and ideas. The possibilities are limitless and you have earned the right to be happy, free and joyful. Freedom to say and do what you like, when you like and that is a great thing. The best is yet to be and you will relish everyday as it comes.
    Sincerely,
    Mady

Thank you Mady, I’m so excited about this next chapter! My story, my way :) All the best to you and thank you for the encouragement! xo Catherine

• Rhonda 4 years ago

It is always a pleasure to read your stories, hear your words, and feel the emotions you feel while reading or listening to you. You definitely touch the lives of many, including myself. You will be missed on CBS5, however we can all look forward to riding your journey with you.

Family First. All the Best to You.

R-

Thank you Rhonda! Thank you for taking the time to read and to remain on this journey with me. The best is yet to come :) All the best! Catherine

• lisa 4 years ago

Tears! So proud of you and grateful for your career for without we would not have met! Love you Lovey xoxoxo

Love you my friend. We’ve been blessed and here we are all these years later, still rocking it! Love you for your support and encouragement. The best is yet to come <3

• Theresa 4 years ago

You will be missed, but happy that you have more to give.
    With much respect,
    Theresa

Thank you so much Theresa!!

• silverio Ontiveros 4 years ago

Catherine, you will be missed by our family that watched you on a nightly basis.

I would like to invite you to emcee our graduation of 166 Phoenix Job Corps students on August 21. You can email me with your response.

Thanks

Hi Silverio, Thank you for the kind words. It means so much to me! I appreciate the invite but I will be moving my daughter into college during that time. Very exciting! Best wishes, Catherine