It’s an Adjustment

FullSizeRender-1I knew I just had to share it on Facebook: the photo of me at 7:45 on a Monday night, in my pajamas, wine in hand, surrounded by my three favorite people and only four-legged “child.”

We’ve waited a long time for this, I thought, as I posed for our “selfie” with a grin from ear to ear.

After a dozen years working “nights” as we affectionately call it in television news, I’m finally getting to spend my evenings at home with my family.

I figured it might take some adjusting, no longer anchoring the 10pm newscast. I would now arrive to work about the time I was usually getting ready for work. I would now leave work for the day right about the time you’d usually find me busting out dinner at my desk. I would arrive home to conversation rather than a sleeping husband and children. Even the dog was usually too tired to greet me at the door at 11:30pm!

Not anymore! This has been quite the first week of new beginnings for me. I read once that we are our most creative selves when we step outside of our comfort zone. I’m not just stepping outside – I’m jumping off the cliff of comfort. It’s a tiny bit scary and a whole lot of exciting. In just the past few days I’ve had more meaningful conversations with my son than I can remember. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to being there for him when he wakes up, when he’s out of school and when he goes to sleep at night. I jokingly told him I was going to identify myself as the CEO of all things him.  In less than two months I’ll be moving my daughter into her college dorm room.  How fun to ride out the rest of the summer hanging out together on the couch at night soaking in the time I won’t have with her anytime I want. A dozen years functioning as a night owl isn’t something you get over in a few days so my husband knows he’ll have to keep going to bed alone for a while. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. In two weeks, when I leave my job, I’ll be leaving it for good. I’m not sure how I’ll feel when I walk out the back door and drive off the station lot for good. Anyone who’s ever worked in a newsroom knows it truly does become a home away from home. What I do know is that the road is going to lead to exactly where I belong. Or, as one quote I read so aptly puts it: “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned to have the life that is waiting for us.”

• Pam davis 4 years ago

I have really enjoyed watching you for the last seven years, since moving to Arizona. Good luck on your new life

Than you Pam! I appreciate you watching and supporting through the years. I appreciate the kind words!

• Angie Hernandez 4 years ago

Congrats Catherine! It’s been a pleasure watching you all of these years! Enjoy yourself and love that family of yours! I cried as I read your stories on here and wish you all the best, as you deserve it! Love you, even though I don’t know you personally, but it sure feels like I do! Lol!

Awww Angie, I love that! Thank you for the kind words and for the years of watching and now of reading. It’s been a terrific journey – but the best is yet to come :)

• Julie 4 years ago

Beautifully written m I love your last sentence. Yes, it us a leap of faith to move forward into the life that is ment to be.
    We all need words of encouragement. Thank you.

Thank you Julie! Thank you for taking the time to read. It means the world to me xo – Catherine

• Jon Gates 4 years ago

Catherine,

I’m sure that this exciting adjustment is the first of many for you. Just know that you WILL BE missed. Remember that it’s an adjustment for us out here too. You have been and you are part of so many families in Phoenix in the evenings for so long. We’ve come to depend on you and love having you in our homes for all these years. You will be sorely missed.

Best wishes my friend.
    Jon

• Don 4 years ago

retirement, funny word I seem to be working more then when I was employed.

• Martha Basco 4 years ago

Congrats! Beautifully written, you wonderful wordsmith!
    Wish I lived closer to you so I could have a glass of spirits with you and make a toast to your new and exciting life. Until then, I will pray that great opportunities are forthcoming for all of you, and that your bonds grow stronger every day.
    I love you all so much. And seeing that ear-to-ear smile just warms my heart.♡♡♡♡
    May God bless all of you.
    Hugs from your mommy. XO♡

• Kathy Cano-Murillo 4 years ago

Congrats! It’s the BEST feeling ever! Thank you for inspiring so many with your positivity!

• Christine Harris-Huff 4 years ago

Hi Catherine! Thank you for the many years of service to news–news that has been good, bad and otherwise! I’m really going to miss you so much. You have always been such a breath of fresh air in the “news anchor” business. I remember telling Seth Parker how much I liked and admired you. His response was, “She’s wonderful. What you see is what you get.” I guess he will miss you, too.
    God bless you and your family as you journey into new life. Enjoy!
    Thank you so very much.
    Your loyal viewer,
    Christine Harris-Huff

• Ernie 4 years ago

First, Brian Williams. Then Dave. Now you, my favorite Trojan. Society will never be the same Sis. What will I do without you?

• Al "Buddy"DePascal 4 years ago

Well Catherine it’s getting almost time for you To Call it…….Retirement. And I know and You know it’s not like you going to be Retired. You will be into Something and I Truely know that it will be Great and You Will love Every minute of whatever you get into. I as will many other we will Miss That Great Smile and That Truly Great Personality that you have. We will always have your back. And Being a Full-time Mom is a Great Job. Enjoy as I have Enjoyed being a small part of Life. In Watching you Grow. Into this Amazing Person……Your Friend Al”Buddy”DePascal……..AND ALWAYS BE AT YOUR SONS GAMES. AND BE HIS “”NUMBER ONE FAN””……..HE NEEDS TO KNOW YOUR THERE TO SEE HIM BE GOOD AT SPORTS. JUST AS MY MOM WAS.

• Rhiannon 4 years ago

We are so happy for you guys!

• Larry Josefowicz 4 years ago

Hi Catherine, I will definitely miss your presence at the CBS news desk. You had always brought your charisma to make the news noteworthy and interesting. You will now have the time to see your son grow, and have the glass of wine while you watch the nightly news! I will still watch Sean, and the rest of the CBS News Team to keep telling it like it is. Have a wonderful time with Family. Like you said, The best is yet to come. With fondest affection!,,

• Phillip Forrester 4 years ago

After following your training; after “communicating” during TBM; after meeting you at Wolfley’s; after following and posting of your various community efforts; I feel as if I actually know you. So from a selfish stand point, I will miss you. From a benevolent position, thank you for all of your endeavours on behalf of the many charities you assist. Enjoy domesticity from a Bruin to a Trojan.

• Nan 4 years ago

Catherine, I am truly going to miss you on CBS5News everyday!! You are so inspiring to me and always happy and I am just really going to miss you and I have to say, I wish you weren’t leaving!! I do understand you wanting to be with your Son. I lost my Son in 2010 and there is nothing more that I want than to be with him again and sit and talk to him one more time! CBS5 News WILL NOT be the same with you gone. You are truly going to be missed! We have watched you for many many years and our dinner time is going to be very different!! What am I going to do not watching you and Sean? Well Best Wishes to you and lots of Good Luck. By the way, your Son is a lil cutie pie. Huge Hugs For You. Have a wonderful new life!! Nan

• Bob 4 years ago

My wife just asked why I don’t insist on watching channel five evening news anymore.
      “Catherine’s gone.”

Ahhh… that makes my day. Thank you for investing time and loyalty in me. I have loved every moment of this journey – just as I will the next chapter. Thank you for watching and giving me 25+ amazing years! Catherine

Hi Nan! You are so sweet. I have noticed such a beautiful change in him – just in this last week that my hours have changed allowing me to be there in the morning and at night. It is the ultimate reinforcement that what I’m doing is without question the best thing at the right time. Thank you for your loyalty through the years. I am blessed to have had such an amazing career and am humbled knowing I could not have had it if it weren’t for viewers like you. I hope you’ll continue to follow my blog. The best is yet to come :) xo Catherine

1 Trackback