Father’s day from the Other Side

DaveBriBeach

My son just returned from his third year at summer camp in California.

He wasn’t supposed to be there.

Going to camp meant he was gone for Father’s Day. After two years of missing that special day with his dad, he told me upon his return last year, that he wouldn’t go back because he didn’t want to miss another Father’s Day with his dad.

This year the camp dates changed and the kids returned in time for Father’s Day. But Dave isn’t here.

The tears well when I think about my children marking Dad’s day without theirs. I’ve tossed and turned at night wondering what wise words I should say and how to help them best honor him in heaven on the day we all wish more than anything, they were honoring him on earth.

DaveCFishing

I keep wondering what sign he might give them on Sunday, letting them know he’s there. I get signs from him all the time. When Def Leppard comes on the radio, I know it’s him. He visits me in my dreams at least a few times a week. Not in a romantic way, but as a friend. I can’t always remember the details about why he’s there but I’ve been fascinated by the fact that every time he appears, he looks like he did around the time our daughter was born, not the way he did before he died. The night before I left to Italy, I had a dream that he came from heaven and momentarily adopted a physical presence so I could hug him. Again, not in a romantic way, but in a reassuring, comforting way as if to tell me he’s okay.

One of my dear friends is a medium, whose first book my mother happened to take with her to read on our trip to Italy. I decided to read it on the flight home. My friend writes in detail about the death of her father and how it affected her and how he continued to communicate with her from the other side. So I reached out to her for some clarity. She told me Dave communicates with me so often because I’m a direct link to the children and he knows I will share the messages they might not always know to look for. She explained that he looks like he did 18 years ago, because that’s how he looks in heaven; how he looked when he was happiest in life.

DAD

The morning my son left to camp, as I was combing my hair, I said to Dave, “I wonder what song you’re going to play when we’re driving to the airport to remind Christian to have fun and be safe? Will it be a Def Leppard song or will it be Whitesnake? “

As we’re driving to the airport a short time later, my son was in the middle of a conversation, when the Whitesnake song that played during the slide show at our wedding came on the radio. I slammed my hand on the steering wheel and shouted, “I knew it! I knew you would play us a song!” My son looked at me like I was the craziest woman on earth until I explained what had just happened. He smiled and I laughed. What a moment.

Come Sunday, I’m going to help my children honor their dad exactly how he would want them to. We’re going to leave him flowers and then head over to his favorite sports bar and order his favorite wings.

It’s exactly what he would do. So we’ll sit at a table for four. We know he’ll be there too.

Happy Father’s Day Dave!

• Debbie 4 years ago

A very touching story. My father in law commented while he was alive that he would reappear as a ladybug and ever since he passed away including the day that he passed ladybugs appear here in strange places so we know that it is him visiting us. They have even appeared a couple of times as if they were warning us of a problem. And I too have dreams where love ones Willet me know they are ok. It is very comforting

• Georgiann 4 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful testimony that speaks volumes about the power of love, faith and family that reaches beyond what is seen here and truly permeates the realm of eternity and all that it encompasses and promises. That was beautiful and I am so happy your son was able to witness, embrace and know that it exists to help him heal. My mom is always around, as are everyone’s loved ones that have passed…we need just look for the myriad signs they send our way. God Bless you and your family and may you have continued greatness in your lives!

Thank you Georgiann! A friend told me, not too long after Dave passed, to make sure my children know to look for the signs. She had also lost her father at a young age and wasn’t open to it right away. I had that conversation with them almost immediately, and I do feel as if we are able to draw a lot of our strength from the fact that we are able to feel him around us. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words of encouragement. I hope you will continue to follow this journey I call life. xo Catherine

• Lynn Dillon 4 years ago

Wow, your writings are very powerful. Thank you for having the courage to take this step in your life and to share with us. You made me laugh and cry!! I wish you and your family the very best and look forward to reading more of your adventures! Have a wonderful day. Lynn

Thank you Lynn! Thank you for taking the time to read and sharing your thoughts. I am grateful! I look forward to sharing more as I embark on this new personal and professional journey in life. xo Catherine

• Linda Cobb 4 years ago

I get signs from my Dad all the time. One especially strong one was about a month ago. I was driving and kind of talking to him in my head asking him for help with something and all of a sudden a car pulls in front of me and his initials NJD were on the license plate. I said out loud I knew you were listening! I’ve never seen his initials on a license plate before and haven’t seen them since even though I drive that street all the time.

Wow Linda, you know exactly what I’m talking about! It is very powerful, isn’t it?! Beautiful. My son sees his dad’s number #19 EVERYWHERE. I love the look on his face when he sees it and when he tells me about seeing it. xo Catherine

• Kathy Borges 4 years ago

Catherine I just read your blog about father’s day and your children. I did not know your spouse had passed away for that I am so sorry for your loss. I want you to know that I am moved by your story and can see you and Dave had true love. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Kathy. Dave and I had been divorced since 2007 but we remained friends. I loved him like a family member and his loss is devastating not just because of the 18 years we shared together as a couple – but because he is the father of my children and I cared about him. I will do everything I can with the time I have on this earth to make sure his legacy lives on and he will never be forgotten. xo Catherine

• Tobie 4 years ago

What a beautiful story. I also believe that those that have passed on visit us in our dream time. it is a time when our subconscious is in it’s best state to receive messages. <3

Yes, that’s what I was told. It’s been a fascinating connection!

• Rhonda Holcombe 4 years ago

You’re awesome! Happy Father’s Day Dave!
    I recognize the background of the top photo. Haleakala on the island of Maui. Believe the beach is at Kanaha Beach Park in Kahului (behind the airport).

Yes! That’s it. It was the last time we were there together as a family. I took that picture. He kept it framed in his home and now it sits in ours :) xo

• Cliff 4 years ago

that was a great story & is so true in all aspects. It brought tears & joy to my eyes.
    The medium was spot on!
    I have gotten many signs from my Mother & Father who have both passed.
    Good luck on your journey!

Thank you Cliff!! Thank you for taking the time to read and sharing your thoughts. I hope you will continue to follow me here and this new and exciting journey I’m about to take. I look forward to continuing to share! Catherine